Monday, January 28, 2008

President Hinckley's influence on me


President Hinckley passed away last night after living an amazing 97 years. I love him and will certainly miss many things about him including his sense of humor, his love for the gospel and his energy. One of the ways President Hinckley has changed my life is by building the smaller temples. The Newport Beach Temple was one of those and this makes it so much easier to get to the temple more often. I am grateful for this blessing. I was in the temple when he dedicated it and when he bore his testimony about the Sacred Grove he bowed his head and cried. This was a very spiritual experience that touched me. He also spoke just 2 weeks ago at our Stake Conference (via satellite) and the words he spoke I happened to write down. He talked about marriage and the 4 cornerstones to a succesful marriage. 1. Mutual respect. 2. A soft answer. 3. Financial Responsibility. 4. Family Prayer. The last thing we heard him talk about was family prayer. How important this is. President Hinckley was an amazing prophet but I am excited for him that he has returned to heaven and is reunited with his wife.

5 comments:

Sara said...

That's so awesome that you got to hear President Hinckley speak just 2 weeks ago. What a blessing!!! He truly was amazing

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

I love this post, he truly did so many great things.

Stacy W. said...

Thanks for the sweet post. I am so glad you wrote down what he said about marriage. I was wondering if anyone did, because my kids were being sooo loud, and i didn't hear all of it. I wonder if there is a way to find his talk online or something? see you at road show practice tonite- Stacy

Kelsey said...

Amen! He is on everyones blog. I love it!

Unknown said...

Thank you for your testimony. I'm grateful to have such a wonderful family that shares my beliefs.