Thursday, September 1, 2011

911 Emergency!


How come there is always something exciting happening when you have kids? I'll tell you there is never a dull moment. Yesterday Cade had to be picked up 15 minutes early from school because he is on the school football team and they had an away game. So there I was with Ryder signing him out of school. It was a super hot day 97 degrees. We walked up to the car and I opened the back hatch so that Cade could get out his football clothes because he was going to change in the car. I started putting Ryder in his car seat and I was feeding him his bottle as we were waiting for Cade. I put my car keys on the front driver's seat and Cade opened his front passengers door. Then he said out loud, " I don't want to change in the front seat." As he was saying this and closing his door I was also closing Ryder's door. I heard the doors lock as they closed. What!!! Cade must have accidentally hit the lock button as he was closing the front door. I frantically go around trying to open each door but no luck. Remember my keys are on the front seat and now Ryder is locked in a boiling hot car. My first reaction was to break the window. But then I told myself to stop and think. I tried calling Matt but the call didn't go through. The service on my phone wasn't good in that spot. I left Cade standing next to Ryder's window. I ran into the school and asked them to dial 911 because my baby was locked in the car. The desk lady did and then I ran back outside. I tried calling Matt again and this time it worked. Thank goodness. I told him he needed to run home and get the spare car key and meet me at the school because I had locked the baby in the car. I always wondered what he must think when I call him with these crazy stories. Suddenly we had two school administrators at our car with us. They were really nice. Still no police or emergency people. I didn't know how long Ryder would last. Luckily he wasn't crying at all and he had his bottle. But still imagine how stuffy and hot the car felt. He just sat in his car seat looking at us. I would say after 10 + minutes the police finally arrived and it was just when Matt drove by on his way home. The police tried to open the door with some tool with no success. Then about 4 minutes later Matt pulled up and saved the day. My poor baby. I few more minutes and we would have had to break the window. Cade and I were both a little frazzled but a bad situation turned out OK.

3 comments:

Sara said...

Poor parenting.

Unknown said...

I'm so glad he is okay.

tothe4thfloor said...

I did that to Marisa. Not fun calling 911!