Sunday, July 29, 2007

Happy Day, All is Well




Our pioneer family, which we loved.


Ten people's stuff had to fit in this for the week.






And should we die before our journeys through, happy day all is well. I would not have lived long as a pioneer. I thought I was tough but I've been humbled. To sum up the trip... 22 bug bites, 4 days without a shower, 170 teenagers, beenies and weenies for dinner, sleeping under the stars, all of this equals one priceless experience. Everyone should get a chance to do this at some point in their life. It's truly amazing that any pioneer ever lived through the trials they faced. This was the hardest physical thing I have ever done in my life, but totally incredible at the same time. Pulling a handcart is much harder than I ever thought it would be but I will miss the rise and fall of the handcart as it goes over the constant rocks and bumps. I will miss the squeeky wheels and the dust in your face because all of this helped me realize how grateful I am for my heritage, my comforts of life and of course the Gospel.

5 comments:

Janna said...

I'm glad you made it through your pioneer trek. I wouldn't last long as a pioneer either.

Unknown said...

It sounds like an amazing experience. Just listening to your stories lets me know I am grateful to have been born when I was. I am glad that I didn't have to pull a handcart.

LALALALUUUUUUUKE said...

Wow Matt, those are some pretty sweet pioneer sunglasses. Did you trade with the Indians along the trail to get them? Maybe you could have traded for some fireworks, I heard the Indians have the best fireworks. That is a pretty sweet looking pioneer gangsta in your family too.

Kelsey said...

Awesome pictures girl! It's over- yeah! Glad you had a great time. I did that in high school and didn't appreciate as much as I should have. All I thought was "there was reason I wasn't born in the pioneer age. They are stronger than me, I admit it!"

Sara said...

Oh pheeewf!!! I'm so glad you guys survived and that you had such a fun time! p.s. you two aren't homely enough to be REAL pioneers.